Well-being is important to success. Therefore, it is, along with safety, the cornerstone of all development. Well-being at work is also an important part of the Way Forward approach launched in 2013.
At Neste, well-being originates from work. The keys to meaningful work and well-being at work are found in developing the individual's competence, a motivating atmosphere that encourages development, safe working environment, and good health. We aim to make everyone's daily work better by paying particular attention to management and managerial work and by developing an encouraging culture and workplace skills throughout our organization.
Work/life balance also has a significant effect on well-being at work. Depending on the job description, flexible working hours and telecommuting opportunities make work more flexible. We also offer employees leisure activities, such as employee clubs and gyms.
Ways to ensure that work feels good…
- Atmosphere that encourages development and sharing of competence
- Understanding of the meaning of one's work
- Atmosphere that encourages learning
- Opportunities for developing competence and professional skills
- Sharing competence and collaboration
- Integrated occupational health services: health checkups, preventive health guidance, and medical care
- Sickness and insurance funds
- Early intervention model
- Relocation activity
- Early rehabilitation and Neste's rehabilitation courses
- Substance abuse guidance and model for treatment referral
- Encouraging a healthy lifestyle and various campaigns to promote health
…and does good
- Regular performance reviews and development discussions, as well as good daily management
- Receiving and requesting feedback regularly
- Functional distribution of work and clear roles and responsibilities
- Jointly agreed principles
- Functional working space and efficient processes
- Developing the leadership
- Personnel survey and engaging processing of the results
- Employee club activities
- Leisure time activities sponsored by the employer
- Measures concerning the safety and comfortability of the working environment
Working capacity – maintaining, supporting, and monitoring
Neste has adopted an early intervention model to ensure that people's well-being at work and working capacity remain good. In case of problems, the aim has been to make the threshold of discussion at an early stage as low as possible. The model is currently in use in Finland, but it will adopted in all countries in 2015–2016.
Neste aims to constantly reduce sick leaves by developing the working conditions and offering diverse solutions for working. Where possible, we arrange substitute work for the time of recovery and, if necessary, we can modify employees' job descriptions either temporarily or permanently.
At Neste, occupational health services focus particularly on the prevention, treatment, and follow-up of occupational diseases. In Finland, occupational health services are complemented by the voluntary membership in the insurance fund Enerkemi or the Kilpilahti sickness fund.