Neste Corporation, Press Release, 19 September 2019 at 8 am. (EET)
Moving in Finland can now be more climate-friendly. Niemi Services, Finland’s leading service provider in the moving and logistics industry, will introduce Neste MY Renewable Diesel™ in all its diesel vehicles and stop using fossil fuels. Neste MY Renewable Diesel is produced entirely from waste and residue raw materials and it can help Niemi’s customers reduce their greenhouse gas emissions related to moving by up to 90%.
“As the market leader in the industry, we want to lead the way in reducing logistics emissions. Our aim is to reduce particulate emissions and the use of fossil fuels to zero. Sustainability is becoming increasingly important to our customers, and caring for the environment already plays a role in many of our services. For example, customers can recycle all waste resulting from moves using our services so that nothing ends up as landfill waste,” says Juha Niemi, Director, Niemi Services Ltd.
Niemi carries out approximately 35,000 residential and business moves every year. Most emissions caused by moving result from the transportation itself, which for Niemi amounts to about three million kilometers a year. In terms of greenhouse gas emissions, this comes to about 2.1 million kilograms. In practice, replacing fossil fuels with a renewable alternative reduces emissions as much as the removal of approximately 700 passenger cars from the roads for a year.
“With Neste MY Renewable Diesel, we can give our customers the cleanest moving in Finland, as we will no longer use fossil fuels. 20% of our vehicles already run on biogas, and we will now introduce Neste MY Renewable Diesel in the remaining 80% of our diesel fleet,” Niemi says.
At the same time, Niemi will also adopt the Neste Oma Asema service at its logistics center at Hankasuontie, Helsinki, where drivers can refuel before setting off. This eliminates unnecessary mileage and emissions.
Neste’s innovation becoming increasingly popular
“Combating climate change calls for quick, instantly effective solutions. By choosing Neste MY Renewable Diesel, drivers can reduce their carbon footprint by approximately 90% compared to fossil diesel. In addition to private customers, many logistics companies have also selected this low-emission, sustainable alternative. Niemi’s choice is an indication of the importance of sustainability for the company, and we’re delighted to collaborate with the company,” says Panu Kopra, Executive Vice President, Marketing & Services business unit at Neste.
Neste MY Renewable Diesel is a Finnish innovation and it can be refueled at almost 50 Neste stations in Finland. At these stations, one fifth of Neste customers already choose it instead of fossil diesel. The share of drivers choosing the renewable alternative amounts to almost 30% in Neste stations in the capital region.
Vice President, Communications (act.)
For further information on Neste MY Renewable Diesel.
For additional information, please contact:
Panu Kopra, Neste, Executive Vice President, Marketing & Services. Contacts via Neste’s media service, tel. +358 50 458 5076 / firstname.lastname@example.org (open on weekdays from 8.30 am to 4.00 pm)
Juha Niemi, Niemi Services Ltd, Director, tel. +358 40 040 2307 / email@example.com
Neste in brief
Neste (NESTE, Nasdaq Helsinki) creates sustainable solutions for transport, business, and consumer needs. Our wide range of renewable products enable our customers to reduce climate emissions. We are the world's largest producer of renewable diesel refined from waste and residues, introducing renewable solutions also to the aviation and plastics industries. We are also a technologically advanced refiner of high-quality oil products. We want to be a reliable partner with widely valued expertise, research, and sustainable operations. In 2018, Neste's revenue stood at EUR 14.9 billion. In 2019, Neste placed 3rd on the Global 100 list of the most sustainable companies in the world. Read more: neste.com
Niemi in brief
Niemi Services is Finland’s leading service provider in the moving and logistics industry. We are currently running about 35,000 removals and 60,000 other service projects a year. We offer our customers the cleanest moving and logistics services in Finland. Our entire fleet runs on renewable fuel: approximately 20% on domestic biogas and the remaining 80% on Neste MY Renewable Diesel. We have built our own recycling system, through which unnecessary items and materials from moving are sorted and recycled sustainably and correctly based on the order of priority laid down in the Waste Act. None of the items passing through Niemi’s recycling service end up as landfill waste. More information: www.niemi.fi