Neste sets high standards for climate, biodiversity, human rights, as well as its supply chain and raw materials and together with its partners is aiming at a carbon neutral and nature positive value chain.
Our sustainability vision, with its key focus areas, pushes our strategic actions forward. It is crucial especially in a world where issues are increasingly interlinked. Since the launch of our broadened sustainability vision in 2021, we have made progress on many fronts, and we continue to take concrete actions persistently.
We lead transformation towards a carbon neutral value chain by 2040.
We are committed to
- reduce our customers’ greenhouse gas emissions by at least 20 million tons annually by 2030 with our renewable and circular solutions.
- reduce emissions in our own production (scope 1 & 2) by 50% by 2030 compared to 2019 level, and reach carbon neutral production by 2035.
- reduce the use phase emission intensity of sold products by 50% by 2040 compared to 2020 levels.
- work with our suppliers and partners to reduce emissions across the entire value chain (scope 3).
Biodiversity is closely interlinked with the question on climate change. Our vision now is to drive a positive impact on biodiversity and achieve a nature positive** value chain.
- aim at creating net positive impacts (NPI) for biodiversity from new activities from 2025 onwards.
- target no net loss (NNL) of biodiversity from all ongoing activities by 2035.
Neste strives to create a more equitable and inclusive value chain by 2030 in which everyone works with dignity.
- commit to paying all of our employees at least a living wage, take action to promote living wages in Neste’s supply chains, and require strategic contractors and suppliers to pay their employees a living wage by 2030.
- commit to and promote the Employer Pays Principle, with implementation in high-risk areas by 2030, to ensure that no worker pays for a job and the costs of recruitment are paid for by the employer, not the worker.
- work together with our stakeholders to increase children’s access to education by 2030, and promote respect for children’s rights by actively supporting and participating in initiatives aimed at keeping children in school.
- reduce inequalities across the value chain and address the root causes of systemic human rights issues by 2030.
Supply chain & raw materials
Neste drives safe and healthy workplace, fair labor practices and increased sustainability commitment across the supply chain.
- require 100% of suppliers and other business partners to be committed to Neste Supplier Code of Conduct and have the best-in-class grievance processes.
- include human rights, biodiversity and climate targets as key criteria for suppliers as we drive diversification and increased availability of sustainable raw materials.
Want to know more about our sustainability vision?
*) Use phase emission intensity is calculated by dividing the emissions from the use of products sold by Neste with the total amount of sold energy (gCO2e/MJ).
**) Nature positive aims at halting and reversing nature loss, positive impacts outweighing the adverse impacts.