We only source sustainably-produced raw materials. All of our contracts with renewable raw material suppliers include strict terms on sustainability; e.g. commitment to sustainability, protecting biodiversity, and respecting human rights are requirements that must be met before a contract is signed.
Our suppliers are committed to the following policies and principles:
- Neste Sustainability Policy
- Neste Supplier Code of Conduct
- Neste Responsible Sourcing Principle
- Neste's Sustainability Principles for Biofuels
We also require all our palm oil suppliers to be members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) organization. The organization requires its members to commit themselves to respecting human rights and protecting rainforests. Neste is also a member of RSPO.
Selection of partners is crucial for the sustainability of the supply chain. Therefore, ensuring the sustainability of our supply chain begins long before any agreements have been signed. All our suppliers are required to fulfill the requirements of our Supplier Code of Conduct. A supplier’s ability to meet the requirements of the Supplier Code of Conduct is regarded as a significant factor when Neste is deciding an initiation or continuation of a business relationship with a supplier.
Supplier sustainability approval is part of our framework for counterparty risk management, which consists of credit control, a compliance review, and a sustainability due diligence process. Our Principle on Renewable Products Supplier Sustainability Approval sets the minimum requirements for supplier sustainability approval through a six-step sustainability due diligence process.
What do we do when we become aware of shortcomings?
Engagement and cooperation with the supplier is our primary way of action in case of any shortcomings. Ending purchases does not resolve problems; engagement and cooperation provide the most efficient means to resolve any problems.
We address shortcomings once we become aware of them by:
- requiring the supplier to provide an account of the situation;
- providing an assessment and, if necessary, a supply chain audit carried out by Neste's or partner's sustainability experts locally,
- requiring a detailed plan for corrective actions from the supplier;
- submitting the shortcoming to the RSPO's grievance process either by us or by the counterparty involved;
- visiting the supplier’s representatives by Neste's senior management if necessary;
- cooperating with the supplier and other stakeholders to develop the operations;
- discontinuing purchases if the supplier loses their certificate.
Read more and become a Neste Supplier.
Read more about Neste's renewable raw material grievances.